I was asked to speak at Beehive Conference a few weeks ago, and decided to try this object lesson and see what we came up with. We had about 40 there as well. As they came in they were asked to choose a shape. When it was my turn to speak, I asked how many of you have this..... or that, and then I asked how many of you chose the plain, white square. No One. There were as many plain, white square as anything else in the basket.
My talk was on "Dare to be Peculiar, Different, even Square". (1Peter 2:9)
Summary: Dictionary- peculiar: distinctive, different from the usual or normal, special, odd, strange, eccentric, square. As a peculiar people we are different from the world. It is not always easy to live in the world and not be a part of it. We are a chosen generation, we live in the world, but do not follow worldly trends or habits, which are contrary to our beliefs. We must stand firm. We always need to be mindful and develop your character around the standards of the church. We must retain our self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what we know is wrong. We need the courage to to be different when it is required of us to be true to the standards of the Church. (Joshua 1:9) We will be respected for it, and if occasionally we are not respected, we need not worry, because that is not the kinds of association we will want or need in our future.
"Be Strong and of a Good Courage,"
Dare to be Square!

9 comments:
cute ant connie
WHat a great lesson!! I picked the Pink ant- :(
Great lesson Connie. It gave me some good ideas for girl's camp, since I am the camp director and that scripture is our theme. How is that new little baby girl? Tell Bergan we want pictures!
Good lesson! I would have picked a white one because I would have thought of all the endless possibilties of "decorating" it up lol!:) That's just how my mind works!!
Great lesson idea! Thanks for sharing
Connie that was a great teaching tool, I think I am square and round,
Connie,
I loved this! It reminds me of a talk I gave a long time ago...though I didn't have your wonderful object lesson.
I bet it was a powerful talk adn will stay with the girls for a long time.
I also loved that you said your family does the EB on Saturday. We also did that with our own family when they were growing up so Sunday could be all about the Savior. Now all our children are married, we do our best to work with and around each of the inlaw's traditions and their time schedhules. Most were able to spend time with grandpa at the assisted care center he lives in, for a E egg hunt before the first session started on Saturday. And I am glad our sons were still able to attend P Session with their dad while the girls hang out.:)
Again I love your thoughts...Do you want to write a talk for me for this weekend, for our grandduaghter's baptism? :")
I loved this lesson! You always do such a great job Maja. Always. Love you!
I agree with all the previous comments. Love the idea and the lesson..Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment