When our guys leave and go to the "bush" and work, many times they go to a village called Gamble. As you will notice from the first picture that it is on St. Lawrence Island, in the Bering Sea only 44 miles from Russia. They have all said that they have "seen Russia from their house" they are working in. When the ice pack is solid, you can actually walk to Russia- if you want!!!!!!Polar Bears find their way into the village this time of year. They are not the cute fuzzy creatures the "global warming" crowd likes to portray them to be. They are man eating machines if they get the chance. When one finds it's way into the village, the whole village is on look out and it is killed immediately. How would that be for a Coca Cola commerical!?!?
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
I shall never complain about being cold again. I don't even know if I REALLY know what cold and miserable is???? As much as I would love to see the beautiful scenery of Alaska, I seriously don't know how I would survive!!! I will drink some hot cocoa and think about you guys:)
That is crazy! I love polar bears! I agree with the Perkins though about the cold. Give me a tropical beach for about 4 months. Hope all is well. When is the wedding? I wish Ashlee would find a nice guy to settle down with. Love you guys!
WOW!!!! I personally think that would be hilarious to see as a commercial... I wish i couls "see" Russia from my house but i couldn't even if i was standing on the tallest hill here. =)
Hmm, and to think that I used to want one for a pet when I was little. Oh, how would it be to have a child's mind again... Good post Maja. I hope Brooks stays safe.
Yes, my hubby is all the way over there....it makes it a little more scary to see the pictures and realize just how far away he is and just how small that little island is! I'm praying he is safe and get's home soon! Thanks for coming over last night and for the cookies!;)
This post reminds me of when Dad gave a talk in Colony and talked about seeing Russia from his house! hehehehehe
How scary that would be. Does everyone carry a gun with them? The poor guy who is the first to spot them.
I loved the geography lesson with the maps. I always thought stuffed polar bears looked so lovable and cut tally. Its a good thing you carry guns in Alaska. keep safe!!
Post a Comment