On Nov. 20th, Rick had a birthday! And to celebrate it we had the whole family over for cheesecake and brownies! Rick's greatest joy is his family and this year Rosie put together a book of letters from family, friends, old and new, near and far. It held many memories and words of love and admiration that touched him deeply. It is a wonderful keepsake.
This is the letter I wrote to him... It is a little personal, but I thought I'd share and give tribute to this wonderful man, husband, dad, papa, son, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin, and friend.
It's our anniversary this week too, so Happy Anniversary Hon!
Happy Birthday to my DEAR HUSBAND- A Stroll down Memory Lane
My life changed when I met you and our life "together" began, some 35 years ago. A few things that I liked about you immediately, other than your were so darn handsome was that you was a farmer boy, your hands, your thick hair and your smell; a combination of zest and fabric softener. Having your own car, and that it was the neatest car in town probably helped too! You always impressed me with how you could drive anywhere and wasn't reluctant about going and trying new things. We went to Salt Lake City, and Lagoon, and Ogden, and places I had never been taken on dates before. There was that first kiss, that I relived over and over again, Trolley Square, Drive In Movies (remember the tape recorder?), concerts, Saturday's Warrior, parties, Bear Lake, rides up Strawberry Canyon, walks in the rain, taking me home from school, Temple Square, football games, oral interp class, Piccadilly, school dances, Baskin Robbins, 4th of July's, hospital trips, dragging Main, church, the Mach, moving sprinkler pipe, Sherwood Hills, Pete's Spudnut, cleaning the school, bowling, miniature golf, Zanavoo Lodge, snow skiing, snow machining, to name just a few and that was before we were married. You also treated me with great kindness and respect, so falling in love with you was so easy.
Then we were married and I was so very happy to be your wife! I enjoyed traveling with you to many of your work destinations for Rocky Mountain Irrigation... waiting and waiting, but I was with you. I loved the many trips we went fishing with the boat after work and you water skiing back from where ever we had fished. Our many jaunts around Oxford Loop. Our little farm with a garden, dogs, a goat and chickens. A trip to California and Disneyland with your family. We had a great life going and then the most wonderful thing happened, we had children of our very own, you and me. As each child came, there was always a renewed love that I had for you, that God, you and I together, created these beautiful children. Thank you for your love and all the hard work you gave in our behalf. Thank you for being a great dad, I couldn't have asked for or dreamed of a better dad to our children. You have always been there for them and supported them in their activities.
One thing that has been for certain in our many years together has been change, whether it was employment or moving, and in our case even moving from state to state. Many people might think that it was a bad thing, but I feel each time we moved there was a growth for us that only could happen where we were at the time. Think of all the memories we have and the different people we have met along our way. Many people touched our life and I know you touched many lives as well, especially many young scouts. And now here we are in Alaska, of all places! And the biggest blessing has been to have our whole family here. Many people only dream of our life, and we are living it. What did we do to be so very blessed?!
Thank you for all your hard work to provide for our family. I know you have come home many days exhausted, and frustrated. But you have always found a way to take care of our needs. You have always been a hard, honest worker and I'm proud of you for that. I also appreciate the way you can figure things out. You are so talented. A Jack of all Trades, a master of many and can fix just about anything. I love being married to a person that was blessed with this gift.
I've always loved and enjoyed your sense of humor. You always find a way to make people laugh! And, oh how you can tell a story and bring humor and suspense, with just the right amount of embellishments!
We have enjoyed some great vacations together; Mexico, Canada, and Okinawa. And many of the states, on vacations or work trips; Alaska, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Nebraska, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, and North Carolina. Going places with you is always fun and enjoyable. You are always game to try anything new and exciting. Even though I am not, that is another thing I always loved about you. But we didn't have to go on long, big vacations to have a good time. We have enjoyed the simple pleasures of life, whether it be a car ride, site seeing, a movie, having our family over, or just being home alone. You are my safe haven. I have always felt very safe with you around and have depended and relied on you a lot. Thank you for being a strong and confident person. You are my rock, my protector, my hero.
I am proud of you Rick, for the person you have become. I always told you I love that person that I knew was in there and who you could be. Thank you for becoming that person. I love you dearly and am proud to be your wife. You are my life, my forever. Thanks for the memories and all the many more we will share together.
Happy Birthday Hon! I love you!
Your Wife.....
Your Wife.....
♥ Connie

5 comments:
Happy Birthday to my Paja! I am so very blessed to be able to call him Dad.
Oh Maja, how your letter makes my tears run. I love you both so very dearly. Thank you for everything that you do for me and my family. XOXO
Happy Happy Birthday To Dad! I'm glad he enjoyed the book....I know I did. I too laughed and cried.....more then once....over the same letter.
Love you both! To bad you couldn't make it over for posole:(
Happy birthday, Rick! What a great gift.
I couldn't help but think that in these pictures you look so... bishop-ly.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK! What a great gift! Glad we were included in on it! Also, happy anniversary you two awesome lovebirds!
Happy Birthday to Rick!! It was a great birthday and I'm glad he enjoyed all those letters! Priceless!!:)
Post a Comment