Friday, January 28, 2011

Handmade Gifts from the Bush

Rick made it back safe from his "power trip" to the bush. This time he and Jake went to Nome, St. Michaels, Stebbins, and Brevig Mission. This time he came back bearing gifts. He brought back some wonderful homemade items from the village people.....aka Eskimos!


He brought me a traditional Eskimo doll with an ivory carved face and rabbit, beaver and spotted seal clothes. A carved walrus tusk and a spotted seal wallet with my name in beads. He also brought back this spotted seal and beaver hat that he is sporting in this picture. It was really cold, windchill of -50, so he said that hat saved him! Brooks flew up to Brevig while Rick and Jake were there to hunt Musk Ox. Both Brooks and Jake were successful, but I'll let them post their pictures on their blogs! So, I guess we'll see what musk ox tastes like......... Their trips out to the bush are always full of adventures!

♥ Connie

5 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

WHat a fun adventure!! -50 brrrrr! Glad they got home safe

The Alaska Coyles said...

Those are great gifts. I have always wanted something from the natives. You are one lucky woman!

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

Wow LOVE the stuff he brought home for you!! I should have had him bring me a doll home...that's what I want:) So fun!!

Jake, Bergan and Brinley Hobbs said...

I'm glad that they all got to have a pretty good time. The gifts Dad brought home are wonderful. Thanks for everything you and Dad do. You are amazing Parents and Grandparetns. I am working on my post right now. :) stay tuned. Sure love you!!!

Anonymous said...

How long does Rick usually stay out on these trips? I think it's amazing that he has built this business and what great adventures and things he sees. Tell him to stay safe!