Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy 4th of July!





With the 4th of July being celebrated this week, I have been reflecting on the many blessings living in a free land has brought. "The Constitution of the United States is a glorious standard; it is founded in the wisdom of God. It is a heavenly banner" -Joseph Smith Jr. [TPJS 147

I love Pres. Ezra Taft Benson, and his love for our great country. Today I spent an hour just reading some of his talks and quotes on freedom, and the Constitution, and our responsibilities.
This is one quote that really hit me; "If America is destroyed, it may be by Americans who salute the flag, sing the national anthem, march in patriotic parades, cheer Fourth of July speakers — normally good Americans, but Americans who fail to comprehend what is required to keep our country strong and free – Americans who have been lulled away into a false security." (Ezra Taft Benson - CR Apr 1968) It has really made me think today, just what are our responsibilities and what is expected of us, as latter-day-saints? (This is an interesting website: LDS Patriots)

I am blessed to have a family who is very....shall I say, "politically involved and informed". I appreciate them, their love of our country and their sacrifice for our freedoms!

Let's all do our part, in some way, to help protect the Constitution and freedoms of this great land we call America.
The Pledge of Allegiance explained by John Wayne: http://www.brownielocks.com/JohnWaynePOA.html

4 comments:

Rosie said...

LOVE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So true! What wonderful comments Connie and it really makes you think! I wish more people thought the same. Happy 4th!!

Unknown said...

What a blessing we have! Hey, we were wondering how fireworks look up in Alaska when the sun doesn't go down?

Connie~ said...

The fireworks on the 4th of July are kind of lame ...however, the biggest time of year for fireworks in Alaska is New Years Eve!