Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Taste of my Canning

While Mom and Dad were here, they helped teach me again, how to bottle. Dad went out and picked the chokecherry's from our trees, cut my rhubarb and blanched and peeled all the pearl onions. My little green house produced some great cucumbers and with Mom's experienced guidance, we made mustard pickles, rhubarb/strawberry jam and chokecherry syrup. And on my own, I made some bread and butter pickles. Things I didn't like to do when I was a kid..... like bottling, (because mom had bushels and bushels of all different kinds of fruits and veggies ready, all at the same time) is fun to me now. I feel like a squirrel gathering and storing her nuts.....

5 comments:

Ashley Rasmussen said...

good job ant connie

Jake, Bergan and Brinley Hobbs said...

You are amazing Maja. Grandma and Grandpa are so knowledgable and always working hard. They taught you very well and I hope that someday, I will inherit some of your talents. Love ya.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

YUmmm!! THey look so pretty-One day I would love to learn how to do that-I am sure my mom has taught me once, but like you I didn't care when I was little :0-Hope you enjoy

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

Looks yummy, I wish I would have learned how to do some of that stuff while the grandparents were here!:D

Anonymous said...

I too wish that I had learned the art of canning from my mom. I guess I still could though since my mom is still around, but the interest is just not really there. I'd prefer case lot sales. But you did an amazing job. GOOD FOR YOU!